The main maintenance and repair shops for all lines of the PRL&P from late 1912 onwards. The facility had dual-gauge tracks to accommodate narrow and standard gauge cars from all divisions. As the traction company’s streetcar fleet diminished in the late 1940s, Center Street became the main yard for the new buses and trolleybuses.
These shops survived well past the streetcar era, being sold to Rose City Transit in 1956 and were finally demolished in August 1979 to make way for TriMet’s headquarters and primary bus operating base. PGE – both an ancestor and descendent of the Portland Railway, Light & Power Company – also now occupies a site at the northern end of the old Center Street tract.