Originally a standard-gauge interurban steam motor line that also provided the connection to Cazadero before the Springwater division through Sellwood was built, the line eventually became part of the city lines division. The line was electrified in June 1901 after lying dormant since January because of franchise and operational issues.
Because of its motor line origin, the line retained actual named stations south of Division instead of streetcar corner stops like most of the other city lines and carried considerably more freight.
When the city widened Foster Road in 1922, PRL&P exchanged their private right-of-way along the south side of the road for a new 25-year franchise for the Mount Scott line. The company paid for a portion of the improvements and moved their track to the middle of the new road. This also led to a slight realignment of the line between Powell Boulevard and SE 52nd Avenue, as Foster Road was extended in a straight line between these two points and the new track came along with it.
| Important Dates: | June 17, 1892 – official opening of steam motor line January 7, 1901 – steam motor line shuts down June 30, 1901 – electric line opens February 18, 1902 – line is sold by the Portland, Chicago & Mount Scott Railway Company to the Portland City & Oregon Railway Company September 26, 1936 – abandonment | | --- | --- | | Operating Companies: | ‣ ‣ ‣ ‣ ‣ ‣ | | Gauge: | Standard (4-feet, 8.5 inches) | | Headboard: | “MS” dash sign, “Mount Scott” overhead sign | | Car Barn: | ‣ ‣ |