Built by the Multnomah Street Railway Company in November 1882 as a stable for their horses. The address at the time of construction would have been the southwest corner of Washington and Lownsdale (between Twelfth and Thirteenth in the old street numbering system).
In October 1889, the eastern part of the stables were torn down to allow for the addition of an electrical power house. In December 1892, the roof partially collapsed under the weight of snow upon it.
By 1901, it is noted on a Sanborn map as being the Portland Railway Company’s electric car repair shop. It was still being used in 1903 to build and paint new cars, though it was noted that the new shops at Washington and Ford streets [now Burnside and Vista] would have much greater capacity when constructed. The barn was finally sold off and demolished in 1904.