A short-lived stub line from St. Johns to the city’s municipal port terminal 4. Uniquely, it was owned by the city and operated (somewhat grudgingly) by the private PRL&P company. A separate five-cent fare was charged for the use of the line with no free transfers offered, unlike the rest of the network at the time.
Initial service stopped just short of the bridge over the railroad lines on Lombard Street and workers were compelled to walk the rest of the way to the terminal. An extension that turned off Lombard Street and went right to the terminal was opened in April 1922. Never really profitable, car service was replaced by a bus on November 1, 1929 with the last streetcar running on October 31, 1929.
| Years of Operation: | November 6, 1920–October 31, 1929 |
|---|---|
| Operating Company: | ‣ |
| ‣ | |
| Owned By: | Portland Commission of Public Docks |
| Gauge: | Narrow (3-feet, 6-inches) |
| Headboard: | Unknown, possibly “Municipal Terminal” or “Terminal No. 4”. One of the few clear photos of a car on the line (above) has no dash sign or headboard. |
| Car Barn: | ‣ |