In early references, sometimes called the “Ockley Green” car barn. A power substation was built here before the car barn to power the newly-electrified St. Johns line in 1903, and the two facilities shared the site until 1907, when the substation was removed. Power for the St. Johns line was handled by the Northern substation at N Lombard and Macrum after that. The space the substation had occupied was repurposed as office space and employee club rooms.
The car barns were extended and enlarged over the years, eventually taking up two entire blocks bounded by N Simpson Street, N Mississippi Avenue, N Killingsworth Street and N Michigan Avenue, with N Jessup Street running across the middle. However, the few remaining streetcar operations were moved to the Center Street shops in 1953, and by 1956, the complex was noted as being “non-operational.” The barns were not transferred to the new Rose City Transit Company and instead were almost immediately put up for sale.
In 1960, the Killingsworth Street unit was demolished to make way for a new and “modern” Albertson’s supermarket. The Jessup Street unit hung on until July 1972, when it made way for a low-cost housing development. Today, the southern block holds a Portland Community College parking lot and the Public Education Services Building; the northern block is townhouses (which seem to be the 1972 development underneath modern cladding). Two short sections of visible exposed track turn off N Mississippi Avenue: one onto Jessup Street, and the other into the car park of the townhouses.
| Founding Company: | ‣ |
|---|---|
| Dates Opened: | 1905 (Killingsworth unit); June 1911 (Jessup unit) |
| Date Closed: | November 22, 1953 - Operations moved to ‣ |
| Dates Demolished: | May 1960 – Killingsworth unit demolished for an Albertson supermarket |
| July 1972 – Jessup unit demolished for low-cost housing development |