Built to replace the old Milwaukie Car Barn and Shops (1892–1957). The employee clubhouse located adjacent to the car barn is of the few surviving buildings from Portland’s streetcar era, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The car barn closed for business in October 1938, and was sold to the USFS in 1942. The car barns were finally demolished on November 11, 2003, replaced by townhouses. For a while, the southeastern wall of the barns remained on site, but was eventually (and controversially) removed.

Founding Company:
Date Opened: February 9, 1910
Date Closed: October 7, 1938
Date Demolished: Car barn demolished November 11, 2003; club house still extant

Lines Housed

The Sellwood barns were designed to hold all the standard-gauge city streetcars and interurban cars that ran in the southeastern part of the city.


Untitled